You’ve got the balloons and the cake. You’re ready for your party—but are you ready for your 26th year? Health insurance coverage is probably not the first thing you would put on your birthday wish list, but if you are still a dependent on your parents’ health insurance, it’s time to start shopping for some of your own.
Your coverage through your parents’ health insurance will end at the end of your birth month or the calendar year, depending on which insurance provider your parents have.
Turning 26 is considered a qualifying life event. That means you can sign up for health insurance outside of the traditional Open Enrollment period.
If you experience a qualifying life event, you can enroll with UPMC Health Plan even if it is not during Open Enrollment. Turning 26 and aging out of your parents’ health insurance plan is a qualifying life event.
When you enroll with UPMC Health Plan, you’ll be giving yourself the gift of coverage and starting your 26th year with access to outstanding care!
We know efforts to improve or maintain your health happen mostly outside the doctor’s office. That’s why we offer additional benefits and services for an affordable price. Take a look at what it means to be a UPMC Health Plan member.
- $0 preventive care that can help you and your family stay healthy. Screenings, immunizations/vaccines, and health exams for adults and children are covered at 100 percent.1
- No-cost preventive medications.2
- Top-ranked doctors and hospitals, plus a national extended network when you need it.3
- Virtual visits anytime, anywhere—covered at 100 percent— through UPMC AnywhereCare.4
- Three free counseling sessions through LifeSolutions® You can use these over-the-phone sessions to discuss your family, relationship, or work concerns. You can also have free consultations related to financial wellness, legal issues, and more.
- Our exceptional Health Care Concierge team. This team can help you understand your insurance and make the most of your benefits.
- Free health coaching to support you in making lifestyle changes or managing a health condition.
- The UPMC Health Plan mobile app, which puts your insurance information in the palm of your hand. You can use it to access digital member ID cards for you and your family, live chat with a Health Care Concierge, track recent claims, and more.
Questions? Call us toll-free at 1-877-563-0292.
Want more information? Here are three things to look for when buying a health plan.